Today Bob and I are sunburned and bone tired. We’ve been working on a large art wall/entertainment center for a client for the past five days. The piece is being created on site so with Bob’s saws and equipment outside we’ve battled the Florida elements of rain, steam (when the hot sun burns off the dampness), wasps and dragonflies. In spite of it all, the project is turning out so well and the clients are so pleased that it makes it all worthwhile.
This project first began with the design work. The clients gave us their idea of what they would like to see. They had specific pieces of sculpture they wanted to showcase in this wall as well as house the TV and the components. I took photos of the empty wall and then computer generated our design with their specifications for the art wall onto their wall photo with Photoshop. We made a few tweaks here and there, then it was Bob’s turn. He drew the unit to scale which took some adjustment to my work…it always does. Once that was done, the building began.
First he took 2×4’s and framed in all of the little cubby holes. That was a feat in itself as the design is complex with different depths and heights of the six sections. (Two are hidden behind the TV in the photo.) For the last three days he and I have man-handled nine 4’x8′ sheets of cherry plywood cutting each piece to size, edge banding each one and are working on building the art boxes. I will post another picture of our progress tomorrow … for tomorrow is another day!